Desktop vs. Tablet Age + 0 comment(s)

I once overheard two ladies talking on a public transpo. It seemed like one of them is a teacher. She had said, in our native tongue, that kids are becoming dumber and dumber. And this had caught me thinking, and had me realizing that I am out of that 'kids' generation. And thus, a new generation has finally been given birth.

If technology was to blame, I would strongly say that it is not entirely. I've been living in the realms of technology ever since I could remember. Then I tried to blink back memories on what I was doing nine or ten years ago, and I could see myself in a computer chair - glued to a computer screen. Maybe the age where technology was making us unhealthier started around my time, but making us dumb? Definitely not.

Then I have come to realize the difference between the type of technology which puts a thick line between our generation, and the generation of youth today. That is, during my time as a kid, the type of technology was in the desktop computers, or even part of that time where laptops. Whereas today, technology lies within smartphones, tablets, and alike. Okay you may ask, what's the fucking difference, but heck there's a lot.

Unlike in desktop computers, the internet is a vast (and wonderful) place. You go on an empty browser, with an empty address bar, and then your adventure awaits. You wouldn't know where it would lead you but heck, you load yourself with information (some useful, some dumb.. but you get my point) I know it sounds pathetic for the generation before mine, but hey.. okay anyway. Once you go into the the world wide web, you get informed. You get to see the world - see blogs, photos, news, and everything. And it gets you to be creative and fill yourself up with inspiration. But on the tablet age, as I would like to call it, you are bounded by specific apps, and what.. Facebook? And moreover, apps that require no thinking - unending and pointless games, which was specifically and originally designed to pass time, but this has dominated and quite injured the minds of children.

And this, I believe, have damaged the youth of today.

Labels: